Our Transmission business is looking for an experienced civil design engineer to join our growing team in Manchester. We’re looking for someone who’s personable and likes to work collaboratively.
LET’S TALK ABOUT YOU
· The role surpasses the standard requirements of a civil / structural engineer and is a necessity to service other design disciplines
· A working knowledge of M&E design concepts, principles and associated coordination
· Experience working with / for a civil / structural design consultancy
· Significant experience of both civil and structural design together with a broad architectural knowledge
· Earthworks design and a working knowledge of the Specification for Highway Works
· Experience in successfully utilising computational frame design software (e.g., Masterseries, Tedds, STAD-Pro)
· The ability to read and understanding the implications / procurement of preconstruction information: drainage impact assessments (useful), geotechnical reports – desktop, intrusive & interpretative
· Ability to review calculations provided by others and understand if the level of information presented is suitable, appropriate and the design is economic. Such activities may require a forensic review on hand calculations and the output from computer design packages
· An appreciation of planning consents and the provision of technical support / management of third parties to ensure that the requirements are met.
· Experience of multidisciplinary works (e.g., energy from waste, petrochemical, water)
· Good all-round technical knowledge
· Working knowledge of both British and European codes of practice and Building Regulations
· An understanding of task scheduling of design activities including linkages with other disciplines and milestone dates
· Good working knowledge of the Construction (Design & Management) Regulations 2015 and affiliated health and safety legislation
· The applicant must be capable of delivering clear instructions to external design consultancies and managing timescales and design scope
· Good client facing skills
· Design, engineering, or construction qualification
· Chartered Engineer or equivalent experience
· An understanding of Fire Design and concepts associated with the preservation of life and asset protection
· Lead an integrated design and design coordination process from Commercial Transfer to Practical completion of numerous consecutive electrical infrastructure projects (Grid Access Substations and HVDC Converter Stations).
· Support the procurement and construction teams to deliver the projects technically.
· Producing designs firsthand using a combination of hand calculations, spreadsheets and use of computer software.
· Undertake design governance checks on the efforts of other designers (both internal and external resource).
· Ensure information produced by 3rd party consultants complies with the contract requirements and are developed to provide an appropriate solution (procurement time, buildability, timely construction, considers CDM regulations).
· A working knowledge of the Construction (Design & Management) Regulations 2015. The candidate must be aware of the duties of the designer and obligations which may fall onto them due to the undertaking of designs outside of the United Kingdom
· Ensure design output corresponds with design inputs (collated and compiled by yourself)
· Interact with other disciplines and formulate scoping documents – collaborative working.
· Author and manage Scope of Works documents and the production of design tender packages.
· Review the content of each design package with designer and check interfaces with other design disciplines.
· Assist in the planning of the design tasks in line with procurement and construction strategies.
· Monitoring of the performance of the design progress, quality against objectives and take all required actions.
· Participate / lead design reviews
· Liaise with and lead discussions between internal designers, Clients, Consultants, and the Project Team.
· Scoping technical requirements and deliverables
· Contributing to and continually reviewing a design schedule to ensure timely delivery of proposals.
· Overview and manage the coordination of building services.
· Identifying when designs proposals will be subject to Building Regulations and the correct implementation of the Regulations are captured within the technical solution.
· Instigating, quantifying, and recording change management of design activities which will have an influence on budget and schedule.
· Site visits to identify constraints on new developments and resolve issues which may be faced during construction.
Let’s talk about us
"Let’s make tomorrow different today" is our genuine commitment at Siemens Energy to all customers and employees on the way to a sustainable future.
Here at Siemens Energy we drive innovation, develop new technologies, apply cutting-edge manufacturing technologies - that’s what we do to deliver the most advanced gas turbines that will set new standards in terms of efficiency, reliability and emission reduction.
Check out this video to see what we do here!
Be Energized. Be you.
Lucky for us, we are not all the same. Through diversity, we generate power. We run on inclusion and compassion. Our combined creative energy is fuelled by at least 130 nationalities. Siemens Energy celebrates character – no matter what ethnic background, gender, age, religion, identity, or disability. We energize society. All of society.
Our benefits package includes a competitive base salary and annual bonus. We celebrate the fact that our employees are individuals and have different wants and needs. With this in mind, we have a flexible benefits scheme where you can tailor your benefits package to suit you. We offer 26 days holiday (which increases with service), up to 10% pension contribution match, an excellent company share scheme and employee discounts just to name a few. We encourage the opportunity to discuss flexibility requirements with our applicants to encourage agile working and innovation.
Organization: Gas and Power
Company: Siemens Energy Limited
Experience Level: not defined
Job Type: Full-time